If you are successful in your claim, you will be awarded lump sum compensation to compensate you for
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of expectation of life
- Past and future out of pocket expenses
- The commercial cost of gratuitous care
- Economic loss if you were working at the time of symptoms
- The commercial cost of replacing care you provided to a dependant because of age, physical or mental disability and
The amount of damages varies between states. However, throughout Australia most mesothelioma claims resolve for between $350,000.00 and $550,000.00 clear in your hand (after all costs and repayments have been deducted) plus any additional compensation that may exist for economic loss and replacement services.
If you were exposed to asbestos during employment in New South Wales, your common law settlement will not affect your right to receive a pension and have your medical and other expenses paid by the Dust Diseases Authority.